Thursday, January 13, 2011

This Run’s for You Big Don

From Mare:

In August when dad was diagnosed with cancer, my world seemed like it was ending. I took a few days to be mad and upset with everything going on and then decided I couldn’t be upset forever. I looked at my dad and all of the pain he was in and had been in for the last couple of months and said to myself that I needed to do something to make him proud! Now I know that I make him proud every day but this time I was really going to do it.  Watching dad go thru treatment after treatment and getting knocked down each and every day but getting up and continuing to fight, I decided I needed a little challenge on my hands. It was mid-September and I thought to myself, what could I do to challenge myself and give dad something to look forward to a few months from now? The idea came into my head to run the PF Changs half marathon in Phoenix in January!

At first I had the whole family on board but then things fell through and mom and I are the ones who are going to be crossing that finish line on Sunday morning. I will be the first to admit that I struggled through the training and when I had to run 12 miles a few weeks ago, the only thing that got me through was looking at the purple DULLESTRONG bracelet on my hand and doing it for dad! So on Sunday morning, while you are all still sleeping my mom and I will be sprinting our way to the finish to see Big Don standing there with a smile on his face saying how proud he is of ‘his girls.’
We won’t be doing it fast but we will be doing it! Stay posted for pictures to come Sunday night and record times (ha ha!!) 

A post from the youngest Dulle.  (in my defense I never signed up for the race, just cause Big Don got cancer doesn't mean I need to torture myself and not walk right for two weeks, sorry big guy)


5 comments:

  1. Good luck Kay & Mare. We'll be cheering for you Sunday morning. Crossing the finish line is a great feeling. Martha & Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Mary! Go Kay! I will be cheering for you as I enjoy my morning cup of joe. You are both Dulle Strong and that's why you can do this. Nothing wrong with soaking in a hot tub after either. All of Whitefish is applauding you ladies! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish you guys the best. Remember not to go out too fast because you will pay for it later. Sometimes running is more mental than physical.
    If you go out with determination and the right mind set, you guys will do fine. What am I saying, you guys are Dulles, you might win.
    Hi Donnie.

    Love,

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck ladies...I , too will be thinking about you and cheering you on. Wow, just another example of how gutsy and how strong your family is...I am sure you will make Don proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again good luck I thouhgt the run was today.
    Sorry, but now I was the first to wish good luck. I love you all and will talk tommorrow. So proud of all of you. Love Beth and family

    ReplyDelete