Monday, October 11, 2010

Strength

It can be measured in many ways, how much weight you can bench press, how many miles you can run, or how big your bicep is.  Well I don't really need any of that to tell you about the strongest person I know.

They say behind every successful man is great woman.  In this case she is behind him, beside him, in front of him pushing, pulling, proding him along on what has become his most difficult journey, and hopefully his greatest success.  My mom truly is the greatest.  Since the moment Big Don was diagnosed she has given everything she has to helping him beat it.  This is nothing new for mom, she has been dealing with our problems forever.  Like many moms she is the first person we call when we are happy, sad, angry, excited, anxious, or just need to talk.  It seems like she always has an answer.  But the strength comes when she doesn't have the answer, as was the case on August 2nd.  She still put on a smile, talking to everyone who came in the hospital, and sleeping, not in the hospital room with Big Don, but in the hospital bed so he could rest comfortably.  She showered at the gym next door so she wasn't gone too long and answered every phone call even if it was her oldest son calling for the 32nd time that hour.  She sits with him now at chemo talking about Flathead Beverage and the score of the baseball game.  She counts his calories for him, and watches him to make sure he is sleeping soundly.  She knows as much about pain pills, and indigestion pills, and sleeping pills as any MD I know.  And as any of her friends back in Whitefish could tell you (even if they can't read the blog at school) she does it with a smile. 

She does it because he is her person.

I have already learned so much from this process, but one thing I already knew is that when Big Don beats this thing, the biggest reason will be because of the strength he gets from a 5 foot 3, 52 year old woman who is proudly standing next to him.  I can't wait for that day. 

I love you mom and I hope to be as strong as you someday.

7 comments:

  1. awesome! You are doing such a great job with this blog! Keep up the good work Dulle's, We love and miss you Big Don!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work with the blog Don. Your family is in Kerri and my thoughts - Murph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I can be as strong as ALL OF YOU someday too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my sister! Great words and she's certainly a wonderful example of "in sickness and in health". Don and Kay you are definitely role models for your children and for all of us. Den and I think of you daily with love and prayers, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Donnie-- Thank you for keeping us updated! Think and pray for you all everyday-- give your dad and mom a big hug from us!
    ~Jace, Amie and Lola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears running down my face! but as Mart said that's our sister and that's what we do. She has been beside Big Don since that day in the kitchen (i think it was sometime in 1974) when he was teasing me and will be by his side for years to come no doubt about it! Love and prayers to you all!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was all so very true.I have always thought of Kay as one of the most amazing people I know.

    We all love her so much and we mostly thank God for sending us her to us. Our family it truely blessed and there are not enough words in this world to show her how much we appreciate her and love her. Thank you for giving all you have to my big brother. He is strong because of you and with you--just like the rest of us are trying to be. Thanks for being great example!

    Love is sent from our homes to all of your homes

    I LOVE YOU ALL
    Beth and family

    ReplyDelete