Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pull my Finger

A fart is pretty funny no matter who you are.  Whether its your brother letting one rip at the dinner table, the guy in the stall next to you playing a tune, grandpa squeaking a few out on the way to the ball game, or the priest letting one slide during the homily, a well timed fart will have me rolling now and I hope for as long as I am on this earth.  The same can be said for Big Don, but I never thought we would see the day that we were waiting on Big Don to work up a fart.  As I have mentioned before the Dulle's generally don't have any problems with matters of flatulence or bowel movements, but then again he did just get opened up for 14 hours and as Dr. Selby says he had one of the biggest general surgery procedures you could ever imagine.  So all things considered he is doing really well.  Each day he is getting more and more tubes removed, walking further, and getting closer to a big glass of ice water.  We are still waiting on the results of all of the final reports from surgery, they took a lot of samples so it takes a lot of time to compile all of the information,  He will probably be in the hospital for the rest of the week but is moving much faster than anticipated, well anticipated by the doctors, I'm pretty sure all of us expected him to be breaking the door down to leave. 

He of course has the support of my mom faithfully there each day, I wish I could think of more elegant words to describe her support but suffice it to say that she definitely heard when the priest said "in sickness and in health"  32 years ago when they got married.  The rest of the family have definitely put in time with him as well and I'm pretty sure we are at least part owners of the parking garage and cafeteria over at USC.  Big Don stays busy watching the Cardinals on his Ipad and keeping up with work emails.  They sent out 5000 cases over the weekend up in the Flathead Valley so just because he isn't in town don't think he isn't keeping tabs on whose drinkng Budweiser up there.  The rest of his time is spent I'm sure thinking about getting something to drink and busting out.  He is getting everything through the IV now but today was allowed some ice and water and when he finally works up that fart he will be able to get more food.  The support and prayers have carried him through and we can't thank everyone enough.  We continue to need all of the support and if you have time throw in a prayer for that fart and we will keep pulling on his finger.  And yes I plan on laughing when he finally does.

No comments:

Post a Comment