Wednesday, June 15, 2011

And a Nintendo

I was going to write a blog about how dorky a conversion van is, and how silly it is to have Budweiser logo plastered on the side, and how annoying it is to get in and drive across the country and waste your vacation in a van with the whole family, and how you really didn't need the built in radar detector because the thing tops out at 70.  But I realized something as I was thinking about those vans, I freaking loved those things and why can't I find one on the internet to buy.

I mean fully plush carpet on the inside, swivel captain chairs, damn near a full bar in the center consol (all real wood as Bob can attest after he did a header into it one time on our way to Florida), a fold out bed in the back, TV/VCR, and a Nintendo.  And the best part was that Big Don used to get a new one every year or so.  So when it was time for a family vacation it wasn't upsetting that half our vacation had to be spent in the van, it was upsetting that half the vacation wasn't going to be in van.  I have to be honest I can't tell you what our hotel room looked like at Disneyland, but I know every corner of the gray Michelob van (van #4) right down to the sliding screen windows in the way back that you could break and stick your hand out of to wave to the other cars.  I'm not sure how mom felt about the vans because they weren't particularly easy on the eyes, but I would proudly ride shotgun any day of the week.

I suppose thats why the Dulle's have always driven everywhere, because half the fun is in the journey.  Every family vacation was driving somewhere.  No planes or trains or bus, just Big Don driving.  I'm sure mom drove some, but mostly Big Don was driver and I was trying to figure out how to fit Bobby through that screen window in the back that I was talking about.  We drove to soccer tournaments, drove on thanksgiving and Christmas, we drove to Montana, we drove to colleges, shout Big Don once just went to the dealership in Montana, bought me a car for college, and drove it straight to California.  Pretty sure he told mom about the time he was going through Salt Lake.  And each time the trip was over we piled back in and drove home.  Never too sad because we knew there were more trips to come.  So naturally Big Don, Kay, Mary, and Candy (the dog) are piled in the car for another trip.  This time on their way down to Phoenix for a CT scan this week and if all goes well onto California for surgery.  Needless to say this trip is probably a little stressful, well not as stressful as the one time we had to stop at the Burger King in the ghetto so mom could go to the bathroom, or the time that we were driving through the grand tetons in a blizzard with a 100 foot drop off the side, or the time we got rear ended by a moose in Canada, or the time I had to stop at the truck stop to take a shower because, well lets just say because I did.  Never mind this trip isn't that stressful.

But perhaps more than ever the most important part of this trip will be going home, because when Big Don goes home hopefully it will be with a little less pancreas and a lot less tumor.  My goal for the next few months is to get Big Don home no matter how tough it is.  So Big Don I hope as you read this you are enjoying your drive and having some laughs remembering all the vans and maybe if you play your cards right we will see if we can't get a nintendo for the ride back.

No comments:

Post a Comment